Anne E. Baggott - Of Counsel
Anne helps employers implement practical solutions to workplace issues while remaining compliant with federal, state, and local employment laws. Anne has wide-ranging experience with day-to-day human resources and employment counseling. She develops policies and handbooks and trains employees and managers in the multitude of laws that apply to the employment relationship. Anne also advises clients regarding various employment agreements.
When claims occur, Anne represents her clients in federal and state courts and before administrative agencies. She has obtained successful trial verdicts and dispositive motions in litigation involving:
- sexual harassment;
- sex, race, disability, and age discrimination;
- retaliation and whistleblowing;
- non-compete agreements and restrictive covenants; and
- wage and hour disputes.
Anne conducts independent workplace investigations. Her extensive employment litigation experience gives her real-world insight when conducting workplace investigations into internal employee complaints, third-party complaints, and lawsuits alleging employee or employer misconduct. Anne performs fact-finding investigations and makes objective written findings and recommendations. She works with her clients to assess exposure, if any, and implement recommendations noted during the investigation. Anne also provides on-going advice and counseling with the goal of minimizing any future claims.
- Defended claim of age discrimination and other employment torts by obtaining summary judgment of all claims in the U.S.D.C. for the District of Kansas, which the Tenth Circuit affirmed on appeal.
- Represented international manufacturer in a lawsuit seeking damages for alleged sexual orientation harassment, retaliation, and multiple employment torts. Obtained a partial grant of summary judgment and tried the remaining claims. At trial, the judge dismissed part of the case on a motion for directed verdict. The jury returned a defense verdict on the remaining claims.
- Advised clients to provide proactive advice regarding issues such as background checks, weapons in the workplace, drug and alcohol policies, leaves of absence, disability, wage and hour.
- Helped retail grocery client navigate multiple wage-and-hour and discrimination claims and lawsuits to successful resolution through dispositive motions, pre-trial litigation strategies, and favorable settlements.
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City
- Board of Directors, 2016-present
- YLS: President, 2014-2015; President-Elect, 2013-2014; Secretary, 2012-2013; Director, 2011-2012
- Kansas Bar Association
- Employment Law Executive Committee, 2016-present
- Society of Human Resource Management
- American Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association,
- Member, Labor & Employment, Federal Courts Advocates committees
- Missouri Bar Association
- Association of Women Lawyers
- Drinks Among Friends, Kansas City
- Brookwood Education Foundation
Board of Directors
- “Employer Relief in Missouri: Amendments Headed to the Governor,” May 2017
- "The Ruby Files: Part 3 – A Whisper, A Wink, and a 40-Year-Old Aptitude Flunky," Employment Relations Today, Winter 2016
- “Four Policy Reviews in Your Next Employee Handbook Update,” January 2017
- “EEOC’s Final Wellness Regulations Take Effect Despite AARP Challenge,” January 2017
- “5 Tips for Handling Employee Secret Recordings,” September 2016
- “Gender-Parity Wage Protection - Recent Developments and Survey of State Laws,” co-author, Employment Relations Today, July 2016
- “3 Tips to Proper Wage Withholdings Under the Kansas Wage Payment Act,” March 2016
- “The New Presidential and Missouri Governor Administrations – New Beginnings/New Directions,” speaker, Missouri Bar’s Employment Litigation and Policy annual CLE, June 2017
- “Sweeping Changes to the Missouri Human Rights Act,” speaker, Society for Human Resource Management–Kansas City, webinar, May 2017
- “Hot Topics in Employment Law – Leave Issues,” speaker, Society for Human Resource Management – Kansas City webinar, March 2017
- “Wellness Programs,” keynote speaker, Kansas Human Rights Commission employment law seminar, December 2016
- “Wellness Programs,” speaker, Kansas City Labor and Employment Law Institute, October 2016
- “Handling Employment Discrimination Claims,” speaker, National Business Institute, March 2016
- “Employment Law Update,” National Business Institute, March 2016